Monday, January 12, 2009

Ilha Formosa

One thing I love about studying abroad (or living away from home for that matter) is that the exotic becomes ordinary and the ordinary becomes exotic. When I lived in Italy, stopping at a small cafe to enjoy some cheese and wine after a long day of admiring the Tuscan countryside became ordinary while taking a hot shower became exotic. When I lived in Hawaii, watching heartbreakingly beautiful sunsets through palm trees became ordinary while bug-free bedrooms (moths, spiders, and centipedes oh my, not to mention our “pet” gecko) became exotic. When I lived in Washington, D.C., trick-or-treating at Embassies became ordinary and Patriots fans became exotic. And now as I set off for Taiwan, I can only guess how my world will be turned upside down. I hope to wholeheartedly embrace new experiences while gaining a new appreciation for what I’m (temporarily) leaving behind.

I’ve been told that my time in Taiwan (I’ve decided that I can’t call it a trip when I’ll spend more of 2009 there than in the States) will be life-changing, and I know it will. However, the big question is how my life will be changed, how God will change my life. I realized the other day that “adventure” simply means “coming to” (gratias Latinae). I like the possibility encapsulated in that definition of adventure as a journey with an unknown destination.

In my dreams I don’t hesitate to jump off buildings because I know that I’ll fly before I crash into the ground. I’m going to a foreign country to speak a challenging language with that same confidence thanks to my family and friends who give me courage and especially thanks to my God, who has “plans to prosper [me] and not to harm [me], plans to give [me] hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11) and who has promised “never to leave [me] nor forsake [me]” (Deuteronomy 31:6).

I know that I’ll miss you but hopefully I can let you know about my life through this blog and you can email/fbook/send me a snailmail letter* to keep me in the loop about your goings-on.

*my favorite option

p.s. For those who don’t know, Taiwan was named Ilha Formosa (Beautiful Island) by a passing Portuguese ship in 1544.

No comments:

Post a Comment